async='async' data-ad-client='ca-pub-1704385665578974' src='https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js'/> Fireplace Makeover - Welch House 1900

Fireplace Makeover

This is the view of the dining room when we first viewed Welch House. There was a small amount of wall space situated between the patio door and the large doorway leading into the kitchen. After we had lived here for a couple of years I started envisioning a fireplace mantel for this space. While browsing Craigslist one night I stumbled upon a gorgeous tiger oak mantel for sale in a neighboring town. I jumped at the chance to buy it, as the mantel would fit perfectly in my space and the wood was the exact same color as the woodwork throughout Welch House!!


This photo shows what the mantel looked like after bringing it home. I just propped up the heavy cast iron fireplace cover against the wall. Can you believe the seller was going to take this part to the junk yard!!!??



I was living with it, but I wasn't very happy with the propped up look. Since we are working on a dining room refresh I decided to create a budget friendly fireplace makeover.
I had a hard time deciding what to use in the makeover...tile, brick..or even embossed tin?
My talented friend Amber at Follow The Yellow Brick Home suggested faux brick paneling. It was the perfect solution!


 The faux brick paneling was only $28 at Home Depot. I decided to paint the brick the same color as the walls in Simply White by Benjamin Moore.


 My Husband was able to box in the opening of the fireplace and attach the brick to the frame he made. Now the brick looks like it is attached to the mantel. My Husband then attached the cast iron cover directly to the brick.


The mantel finally looks more realistic, as though it was always in this space, and it was so affordable!!!


The new look is very elegant and simple. I love that now the focus can be on the stunning details of the mantel. Just look at the amazing columns and the beautiful "tiger stripes" in the 120+ year old wood.


This mantel is a bit older than Welch House by a few years. The sellers owned a parsonage from the 1880's and this beauty was original to that home.


P.S. if you look closely at the top of this photo you can see that we are still working on the dining room putting up moulding on the walls. I haven't had the chance to paint some of it.


The detailing on the cover is also incredible. There are large torches on each side as well as a maiden in the center.


I could get lost in the details...


The Parsonage Mantel fits perfectly here at Welch House and has added a great deal of romantic charm and beauty to the dining room. I am so grateful that the universe sent it to us! It was love at first sight for me and I will treasure this beauty forever!


I hope to have the dining room reveal coming soon in the next few weeks! lol oh my goodness its taking me forever to complete it!

 Thank you for stopping by and visiting!


-Larissa

10 comments

  1. I love what you did to your Mantel the Brick looks amazing!! what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Amanda!! I really love the new look, its much more brighter and elegant!

      Delete
  2. That mantel is truly stunning! And I am so glad you rescued the iron stove front from going to the dump. One of the greatest joys of vintage is saving things that aren't being appreciated ;). Your house is looking so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!! I couldn't believe it when he said he was going to throw it away! I snatched it up so fast! It does feel so good to save vintage items and give them a purpose and a home again! Thank you so much for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy! I really love the new fresher look!! Thank you so much for visiting, it means so much to me!

      Delete
  4. Your fireplace makeover is so dreamy and looks like it should have always been there. Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is the most beautiful mantel I've ever seen. Thank goodness you saved it!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? for more detail

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was SO HELPFUL!! Thank you for all of the detail. What a brilliant idea! The faux brick totally blew my mind!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you wish!❤️ I love hearing from my readers!❤️